Monday, March 29, 2010

Way to Go Bogie the pug!

This was the first year that preferred dogs were eligible to compete at agility nationals, I wasn't sure what to make of this.....but what the heck, why not!! I think they were expecting a much larger turn out and the number of dogs representing each height was decided on *before* entry numbers were in, a whopping 78% of preferred dogs at the national made it to finals.

The big news though, a pug ended up 2nd place in the preferred 8" division. Way to go, Kris Huet and Bogie. I'm not familiar with them, so I don't know where they're from or how long they've been competing. I got the livestream, so I saw two of their runs, he's a nice running pug! Kris looked to be calm and smooth in finals too. A great representation of what pugs can do!

4 comments:

Jamie Bush said...

Bogie and Kris are from Loveland, Colorado! I have never met them, but I've heard great things about them!

westoverpugs said...

Well if you ever run into them, tell Kris, Jesse and the agility pugs from PA say congrats!!

They looked great in the runs I saw.

The Pug Boys said...

I'm surprised that I don't see more pugs in agility and obedience. They are great little dogs.

westoverpugs said...

It's two sided, on one side I am surprised, given how many pugs there are. Pugs really aren't that hard to train, every pug I've know has been so enthusiastic and drivey. they love food, playing and people. they're natural performers and love to ham it up!

On the other side, they have a reputation for being stubborn. Most people I talk to act like it's a miracle if they can housetrain their pug and get it to sit for a (visible) cookie. I don't understand this, even after training a more traditional breed, I still don't get where this attitude comes from.

For agility, pugs do have physical issues that make it harder for them, they're heavy bodied, short backed, short necked and most just measure out of the reg. 8" division forcing them to jump 12" unless entering preferred, which is a lot for most pugs. Mine handle heat better than most pugs, but I still have to be careful, so that's a concern for outdoor training and trialing. they certainly can do it, but they have to work harder than some other dogs.